Everyone loves a refreshing drink on a warm summer day. Lemonade is, by far, one of our favorites. How about you?
Did you know that lemonade dates back thousands of years ago in Egypt? History suggests that lemons originated from Asia and was brought to Egypt in 700 AD. Qatarmizat, a lemon based juice drink sweetened with sugar was introduced. Lemons were also used to make wine flavored drinks with dates and sweetened with honey.
Compagnie de Limonadiers is believed to be the first “soda” company and launched in 1676 in Paris, France. With a monopoly granted to the company to sell its own lemonade, vendors, on behalf of Compagnie started to sell this refreshing drink served in cups from containers loaded behind them. These vendors did their selling on the streets of the city. A carbonated version of lemonade even surfaced in 1833.
Lemonade hasn’t changed much in the last few thousand years. It’s still simple to make and it’s still delicious. Want to make your own lemonade? Below is a recipe of lemonade that would certainly quench your thirst, especially in the heat of summer. This recipe is fast and will serve up approximately five glasses.
Homemade Lemonade Ingredients:
• 1 cup of sugar
• 1 cup of water
• 5 fresh lemon chunks
• 2.5 cups of ice cold water
Homemade Lemonade Instructions:
1. The first thing you need to do is make a sugar-syrup mix. Simply put the sugar and the cup of water in the sauce pan. Put the pan on the stove and turn the heat to medium. Bring the mixture to a simmer while whisking continuously to make sure the sugar dissolves completely. Turn off the heat and let cool.
2. Squeeze the lemons to fill 1 full cup.
3. Next, pour the sugar syrup into a big bowl. Add the lemon juice. Then add the two to three cups of ice cold water. Stir until everything is completely blended.
4. Taste the drink and adjust to preference. If the drink is too sweet, add more water. If the lemon flavor is lacking, squeeze some more lemon juice and stir it into the drink.