Coming up with unique mother’s day ideas can be tough. After all, how do you show the most important woman in your life how much she means to you each year without getting repetitive?
While your mom is sure to appreciate every gift, greeting card, and meaningful message you send her way, many of us want to find ways of making Mother’s Day extra special each year. So whether you’re honoring your actual mother or celebrating another mother figure in your life, it pays to start planning and coming up with new ideas as quickly as possible.
Here are some tips and ideas to help you bring a tear of joy to your dear mother’s eye this year.
What Makes Mother’s Day so Special?
Mothers are indispensable. They’re the people who bring us into this world and teach us important lessons about life, love, and how to overcome any obstacle. Of course, every mom deserves to be showered with affection and gifts 24/7, but Mother’s Day is the number one time of year to show your mom how much she means to you.
In cultures worldwide, mothers are honored and spoiled on a specific day each year. Depending on where you are, your Mother’s Day traditions might vary. In the US, UK, and Ireland, it’s common to give flowers and chocolates on Mother’s Day. In Middle Eastern countries, Mother’s Day is marked by massive celebrations and festivals.
Everyone has a birthday, and many of us can celebrate other major events, like Valentine’s Day, Christmas, and anniversaries. Still, Mother’s Day is the only one dedicated to moms alone.
Who Should You Wish Happy Mother’s Day To?
Before you search for a unique Mother’s Day gift, it might be worth asking yourself who you will be celebrating this year. After all, Mother’s Day isn’t just for your biological mother. While the most common person to celebrate on Mother’s Day is your mom, you can also give gifts and cards to other meaningful people in your life, such as:
- A New Mom: Giving a thoughtful gift to a new mom (a friend, sister, co-worker, or neighbor) is an excellent way to show love and support. After all, most babies won’t be able to buy their moms a gift themselves.
- Friends with children: If you have a close friend in your life with a child, show them how much you value her with a Mother’s Day gift.
- Single dads:If you’ve grown up without a mother, but had a father who acted as both parents for you throughout your life, give them their Mother’s Day gift.
- Grandmothers: If it weren’t for your grandmother, you and your mother wouldn’t be here! Buying a Mother’s Day card for grandma can be a great way to spread love.
- Mother figures: A mother figure in your life, such as a mentor, a caring auntie, or a close friend, deserves recognition on Mother’s Day too.
What are Some Ideas for a Unique Mother’s Day Message?
Celebrating your mom or mother figure on Mother’s Day isn’t just about choosing the perfect gift. Your message you send can make all the difference to how your mom feels about this big day.
So, instead of writing “Happy Mother’s Day” on all of your cards, it’s worth thinking of some unique messages to send. For example, you can look for funny Mother’s Day quotes online or write a personalized Mother’s Day message talking about your memories, the lessons she taught you, and all the things you’re thankful for.
The best Mother’s Day message should come straight from the heart. Here are some suggestions to consider:
- Thank you for being my mother, friend, and guiding light.
- Some of my best memories in life come from moments with you. For instance, do you remember…
- You taught me how to (lessons you learned) and made me stronger. I’m who I am today because of you.
- All the words in the world wouldn’t be enough to tell you how much I love you this Mother’s Day, but here are just some of the words I’d use to describe you…
- If I’m half the mother you’ve been to my children, I’ll know I’m doing something right.
What are Some of the Best Mother’s Day Gift Ideas?
Personalized presents are always best when choosing Mother’s Day ideas for gifts. A great gift will show your mom how well you know her. Think about her hobbies, the things she enjoys, and who she is. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Mother’s Day coupons: Coupons are a great way to offer your mom some fun acts of service in exchange for everything she’s done for you. You could offer to bake cookies on demand, cut the grass, tidy the house, or even take over some household chores.
- Quality time: Spending meaningful moments with your mom is one of the best gifts you can give her. Rather than just giving her a bouquet of fresh flowers, take her to a movie, eat at a restaurant, or enjoy an amazing spa day.
- Encourage her hobbies: Moms are people too! They have interests outside of parenting, so think about how your mom likes to spend her time. The best gift ideas show support for your mom’s hobbies. For instance, you could give her some fun craft resources or knitting tools.
- Personalized items: Since great Mother’s Day gifts come from the heart, personalized items are always great. You could consider buying a coffee mug with a picture of you both on the front. Create a photo album just for your mom, or get her personalized jewelry, like a necklace with her name embossed on the pendant.
- Gift boxes: Why settle for just one gift when you can create a full box full of your mom’s favorite items? You can include everything from a family photo to cookies, soup, slippers, and anything else your mom might like.
How Can I Personalize a Mother’s Day Gift Experience?
As mentioned above, the best Mother’s Day gifts are always unique to your mom and the relationship you have with her. With that in mind, consider avoiding the standard gift card or a piece of random home décor. Instead, focus on choosing a gift that’s specific to her.
Personalized Mother’s Day gifts aren’t difficult to create. First, add your mother’s name to the presents you buy, or purchase something in her favorite colors. Then, if you’re lost, add a unique Mother’s Day message to the parcel you send.
The gifting experts at Spoonful of Comfort are about helping you find a personal, one-of-a-kind Mother’s Day gift, too! Check out our seasonal selection of curated Mother’s Day gifts. Choose one ready to go, add meaning to it with extras she’ll love, or build a Mother’s Day care package from scratch. We’ll send the package, but she knows you’re filling it with love.