When someone you care about is feeling ill, having surgery, or going through a rough patch, writing get well soon wishes or other inspirational greetings can make all the difference. Sending a comforting get well gift is always appropriate as well. When you send get well greetings, not only will your friends and family know you care, but the warm feelings you send can give them the emotional lift they need to feel better.
Table of Content
- But What if I Don’t Know What to Write?
- Get Well Card Messages After Surgery
- Get Well Messages After Serious Illness
- Inspirational Get Well Messages
- Religious Get Well Messages
There are a lot of circumstances that lend to sending get well messages. We’ll take a look at a few of them here—plus some of the appropriate things you might want to say to someone who’s suffering.
But What if I Don’t Know What to Write?
Unless you’re a professional writer—which most of us aren’t—it can be tough to know just what to say to someone who’s feeling down or very ill. You can send gifts, make phone calls, and buy greeting cards, but finding just the right words can be a real challenge. Depending on the situation, you may not know just how your loved one is feeling. The important thing is to send well wishes for quick and complete healing.
If you’re unsure what to write, it’s always to begin with a personal message. Begin with a greeting that is specific to your relationship with the person. For example:
- Greetings brother! I’ve been thinking a lot about you.
- Hello mom, I just wanted to write and share with you how much you’ve meant to me my whole life.
- I’ve been thinking a lot about our friendship over the years and I wanted to share how much you’ve meant to me.
Sharing something specific or a personal anecdote about your life will help get you started and will help frame the get will message. Your loved one will feel that you care about them as an individual, and it will be much easier to craft a heartfelt message for the specific situation—everyone is different and every get well message should be personalized to create the most positive impact.
Get Well Card Messages After Surgery
Say your best friend had a fairly serious surgery, and might be laid up for a while. You’ll want to write a sincere, heartfelt message that shares your hope for a fast and full recovery.
Think about your friend and his or her personality traits. What will support their mindset and lifestyle to get on the mend soon?
- Is she a go-getter?
- Is he a determined soul with a great sense of humor?
- Think about what traits will lend themselves to recovery and remind him or her about them.
If your loved one has a great support system at home while they recover, highlight that in your get well greetings. Or, if there isn’t a lot of support, offer specific help you can give in ways like these:
- Driving to and from appointments
- Picking up the groceries
- Doing loads of laundry
- Watching the kids
- Walking the dog
- Letting them stay with you, if you have fewer stairs or other complications at home
Get Well Messages After Serious Illness
When someone you care about is seriously ill, you might be sick with worry yourself so you may want to offer sincere messages for total healing.
- I’m so glad you are receiving such great care.
- I’m here to help you out at home whenever you need it.
- You are in my thoughts and my heart.
- Please call on me anytime.
- You’ve got what it takes to beat this.
Sincerity doesn’t have to be a downer. You can stay positive and upbeat while still offering get well soon greetings that let them know they are always on your mind.
Here are some ways to express sincerity that won’t come off as empty or obligatory:
- I am thinking of you constantly.
- Your amazing attitude can be a source of strength.
- I am here for you now and always.
- I hope you can feel my love and comfort.
- I love thinking about our times and memories together.
- I’d love to visit and laugh with you soon.
- You’re so important to me.
- You’ve had such an impact on my life.
- You’re surrounded by so much love. I hope you can feel that from me.
Inspirational Get Well Messages
Sharing some wisdom and inspiration is a great addition to get well cards. Consider a person’s personality, religious, and cultural views. Here are a few thoughts to try:
- Please get well soon so you can bring your light back into my life.
- I wish the best for your recovery and hope you can use this time to recharge.
- Health and humor are like sunshine and water to the body. Hope you’re healthy and laughing again soon.
- I value your friendship so much. Please know I’m praying for your speedy recovery.
Religious Get Well Messages
Religious-based messages of healing can share your faith or strengthen the faith of a close friend or family member. Keep any denominational differences in mind. Here are a few ideas:
- I’m praying for your quick recovery. God will take good care of you.
- May God’s love surround you and your family during your illness.
- Illness is a reminder that we need God’s blessings. I’m praying you’ll get all the blessings you need.
- God answers prayers. I pray that you’ll be better soon.
- The Lord can heal you. Keep the faith and keep praying. I will!
- Faith and prayer are the best kinds of medicine.
Finding the right words can be a daunting task. But remember, simply lending your support, sharing well wishes, or sending a gift can mean the world to those you love at the toughest times.