Soup can be a nutrition powerhouse, packed with carbohydrates, protein, vitamins and minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. Soup is easy to prepare. After putting all the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning, a steaming pot of soup will be waiting for the entire family in the evening.
Here are some of the attributes that make soup an asset to any diet:
- Soup is comforting – A warm pot of soup can soothe the taste buds and the soul. There’s nothing better than a bowl of hearty soup on a cold evening. Since soup is flexible, you can add your favorite ingredients to a basic recipe. You can modify an existing recipe or start from scratch, using your creativity and imagination.
- Soup is good for health – Eating a bowl of soup is an easy way to fill up on your recommended servings of vegetables for the day.
- Soup can help you lose weight – Warm soup can also make you feel full so you aren’t tempted to overeat. An appetizer soup can curb your hunger at the start of the meal, so you eat less of the other offerings on the table.
- Soup is affordable – Soup is a great choice for a tight grocery budget. For a limited amount of money, you can buy soup stock, some vegetables, a little bit of lean meat, and beans. Voila!With those ingredients as well as some herbs and spices, you can make a hearty meal. You can even use leftover meat and veggies as a starting point.
- Soup can make you feel better – Remember the chicken soup your mom served up when you were sick as a child? Soup contains important vitamins and antioxidants that can hasten the healing process.
Soup is the food for all seasons. Try a fruit-filled cold soup in summer or a warm creamy soup in the winter. It’s good for the soul and the body.