Be it inpatient surgery, outpatient surgery, oral surgery, cosmetic surgery, major surgery or “you’ll-be-back-at-work-tomorrow” surgery, medical procedures aren’t much fun. You can at least make someone feel a little better with a pre- or post surgery message: Get Well.
At Spoonful of Comfort, a Get Well care package is our original product that started it all—and Get Well gifts are still one of the top ways people send care. We’ve seen more than one (or one thousand) get well message after surgery. And we’ve had a lot of people ask our Customer Care team for help when they don’t know what to say.
So, we’ve gathered up some thoughtful quotes, quips, and heartfelt words that you can add to a Get Well Soon message after surgery.
Writing a Get Well Soon Message After Surgery
A best wishes for surgery message follows many of the same best practices we encourage when writing any Get Well message.
Make your get well soon message brief. Surgery can have a pretty exhausting effect on people, even when they’re in tip-top shape going in for an operation. Be mindful that the person in recovery may be tired, in pain, and maybe not as clear-headed as they’d like.
Keep your message short and sincere. There’s no need to express everything in one card. In fact, a person might prefer a recovery message after surgery to be delivered in person. A visit when the days drag on might be a follow-up alternative to the short and sweet card you send.
Be personal in your get well message after surgery (but not TOO personal). DO mention specifics about that person’s situation, family, or relationship with you. Do NOT go into medical or recovery details they’d probably just as soon keep private.
When you can make a message sound like it’s a conversation between you and that person, it’s for more meaningful. Share an inside joke. Talk about something you’re going to do together next. Say what you miss about them being around. Write a post surgery card that’s uniquely from you.
Try a practical recovery message after surgery. Chances are, life won’t be back to normal after someone’s had surgery, whether that’s for an afternoon, a few days, or much longer. Think about ways you can offer concrete help or support and include that in your get well card.
There are many ways you can take over tasks big or small while someone’s in recovery from surgery. Be creative. Be generous. And be committed to follow through.
With those top tips in mind, here are some suggestions for what you can say in a get well message after surgery.
General Get Well Message After Surgery
- “Throughout history, ‘tender loving care’ has uniformly been recognized as a valuable element in healing.” —Larry Dossey
- Medical treatment is about three caregivers: the patient, the doctor, and the inner doctor. Hope each gets the attention they deserve!
- Hope you feel all the love surrounding you right now.
- Thinking about you today and hoping it’s a good one for you.
- Get better and get back to your amazing self soon!
- Sending you a warm hug, love, and prayers.
- Sending good, healthy recovery vibes your way.
Serious Surgery Card Message
- We’re cheering for your rehab results! Until then, don’t worry about the lawn. We’ve got it covered.
- No matter what, no matter when, I want to be there for you. I’ll be in touch soon.
- There’s a whole crew of neighbors taking care of everything at your home. Hope the staff there is taking good care of you!
- “I know God will not give me anything I can’t handle. I just wish He didn’t trust me so much.” —Mother Teresa
- “Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.” ‚C.S. Lewis
- It’s always so great when we get together and talk about everything and nothing. I would love for us to do that again soon.
- Hope you are starting to feel better Praying for you and the family.
- Remember, “Don’t look back. You’re not going that way.”
Recovery Message After Surgery
- I’d love to help around the house until you’re up and around again. I’ll text to see about a good time to come over.
- I promise I won’t pretend that I can cook for you. How’s takeout sound?
- We plan to take Penelope to dance class with us on Tuesdays. Hope that makes one less thing to worry about as you heal up.
- “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass, it’s about learning to dance in the rain.” —Vivian Greene
- We are thinking of you and praying for a full recovery soon. All our best wishes with you.
- You’ve been on my mind. I hope this gets you through your day.
- It has been great to see you out walking! Sending strength for a continued recovery.
Funny Get Well Messages After Surgery
- “I wonder why you can always read a doctor’s bill and you can never read his prescription.” —Finley Peter Dunne
- “Isn’t it unnerving that doctors call what they do ‘practice’?” —George Carlin
- “I enjoy convalescence. It is the part that makes the illness worthwhile.” —George Bernard Shaw
- “Be careful when reading health books; you may die of a misprint.” —Mark Twain
- “Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died.” —Erma Bombeck
- “You’re in pretty good shape for the shape you are in.” —Dr. Seuss
- Try not to think of it as a hospital stay. Think of it as a spa package that includes meals, regular health evaluations and Jello cubes.
Surgery Card Message for Kids
- There are easier ways to get out of school, you know.
- Can I autograph your cast? I want mine next to Ariana Grande’s.
- Use your superpowers and get well soon!
- Bye-bye tonsils. Hello feeling lots better!
- I’m sorry to hear your ankle will be out of action this season. Rest and heal so you’ll be back better than ever next year!
- Ouch! I’m so sorry about your broken leg. Sending lots of feel-better hugs.
- Please come back home from the hospital soon! Your toys really miss you.
- Wishing on every star that you get better soon.
- Sorry things are so un-fun right now. Hoping that changes soon.
Get Well Gifts After Surgery from Spoonful of Comfort
Spoonful of Comfort sends thousands of Get Well care packages — and they include the kind of care you’d bring if you could be there yourself. Our complete meals featuring soup, rolls, and cookies are ready to heat and eat. So someone recovering from surgery (or their family) doesn’t need to worry about preparing a meal. Soup is a comforting, nourishing meal, no matter how you feel. And Spoonful of Comfort can deliver Get Well packages to homes, hospitals, recovery and rehabilitation centers.
You know what to say in your Get Well message after surgery. Send it with some care that goes the distance.