Mother's Day Cookies: The Ultimate Sweet Treat
Mother's Day Cookies
Your mother is one of the most important women in your life. She brought you into this world, nurtured you through childhood, and provided endless warmth, love, and affection. Without her, you wouldn't be the person you are today.
Although your mom deserves to be spoiled and celebrated every day of her life, Mother's Day offers an excellent opportunity to really show this amazing woman how much she means to you. While there are plenty of great Mother's Day gifts, few things will linger in the memory (and on the taste buds) quite like a delicious batch of Mother's Day cookies.
Cookies are one of the simplest but sweetest ways to show your mother how much you value and appreciate her, especially if they're baked and chosen with care. Today, we're going to share some of the best tips and tricks for creating the ultimate cookie gourmet gift basket for mom on her special day.
Why are Cookies a Great Gift for Mother's Day?
There are countless "classic" gift options you can consider for mother's day, from a bouquet of fresh flowers to specially-made jewelry or even a relaxing spa trip. However you decide to celebrate your mom, a box of cookies is a great bet to make her smile.
Cookies are wonderfully versatile treats. You can choose recipes to include your mom's favorite ingredients, and avoid anything she doesn't like. In addition, there are endless ways to decorate cookies to give them a personalized touch. You can even experiment with specific types of cookies, such as ultra-healthy low-calorie or gluten-free cookies.
Here are just some of the main reasons cookies make such a great gift for mother's day:
- They're versatile: Cookies can be baked, decorated, and packaged in various ways. You can choose to include all of your mom's favorite ingredients, and whip up your very own special recipe.
- Personal touch: Whether home-baked or not, cookies are an indulgent gift that tells your mom she deserves to be spoiled. If you bake cookies with your own kids to share with your mom, you can even get the whole family involved in the gifting experience.
- Cookies are easy to share: Although your mom might want to keep her delicious cookies all to herself, she also has the opportunity to share them. You can make some great memories laughing over cookies together.
- They're delicious: Cookies are the ultimate comfort food. They're sure to bring a smile to anyone's face—at any time! If you take the extra step to personalize your cookies to suit your mother's tastes, then you're sure to leave her grinning all day long. Plus, you benefit from giving your mom a practical gift—cookies are there to be eaten, not stored in a closet!
Cookies are a delicious treat that everyone can enjoy, and the perfect way to show your mom just how sweet you think she is! You can even combine multiple flavors and types of cookies into one special gift box, so your mom has a variety to choose from!
Mother's Day Cookie Recipes from Around the World
One of the reasons Mother's Day Cookies make such a perfect gift is they're fabulously universal. Around the world, children (of all ages) bake cookies for their mothers as the ultimate sweet treat for not just Mother's Day but also Valentine's Day, birthdays, and even Christmas.
Here are some amazing examples of mouth-watering mother's day cookie recipes from around the world if you feel like getting international this year:
Originating in Argentina, Alfajores are light, Macaroon-style cookies made primarily with corn starch and filled with delectable dulce de leche. The heavenly cookie is then rolled in coconut for a sharp contrast to the sweetness. All you need is flour, cornstarch, baking powder, egg yolks for the cookies, and of course, some butter and sugar! Here's a great recipe to try if you're looking for inspiration.
The classic cookie from France, Madeleines are delightful shell-shaped cookies with a delightful crunch. They're light, airy, and can be dipped in chocolate for a little extra decadence. These beautiful cookies look great and are surprisingly easy to make with a few ingredients and a little time. You can find a great recipe here.
Straight from Greece, Kourabiedes are a softer style of cookie made with almonds and a handful of other standard cookie ingredients. They're rolled in powdered sugar and often shaped into balls or crescents before baking. These are a fantastic, sweet treat for moms who like cookies without the extra crunch.
Another unique cake-style cookie from Spain, mantecados are traditional shortbread-style cookies packed with flavor. These delectable mother's day cookies will be ideal if you're looking for something relatively simple to make, as they only need a handful of ingredients and take just a few minutes to prepare. Here's a great recipe.
Speaking of shortbread, there are few things better than this traditional Scottish cookie if you're looking for a melt-in-the-mouth treat. Made with only a handful of ingredients, shortbread can be cut into a variety of fun shapes, making it great for a mother's day gift. You can also add your own extra elements, like lemon zest or chocolate chips.
What are some Classic Mother's Day Cookie Recipes?
If you're not much of a baker, you don't have to rely on homemade cookies to give your mother an amazing gift. Spoonful of Comfort has a selection of the tastiest cookies you’ll find anywhere. However, if you want to experiment with something hand-made, there are some great recipes that are extremely easy to make.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
It’s hard to beat a classic chocolate chip cookie, but if you're looking for something with extra texture and flavor, this oatmeal cookie recipe is a fantastic choice.
Here’s how to make it:
- 1 cup of quick-cooking oats
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup of almond flower
- ¼ cup of honey
- ¼ cup of coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ cup of dark chocolate chips
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Mix your oats, baking powder, almond flour, and salt in a bowl, then add your honey, egg, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Mix well before adding the dark chocolate chips. Place dollops of cookie dough onto your baking sheets and bake them for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
Consider substituting dark chocolate for milk or white chocolate, based on your mom's preferences. You can also add extra bonuses, like a sprinkle of almonds or peanut butter.
Simple Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookies are a great option for Mother’s Day gifts because they're so easy to customize. You can add extra flavorings to the dough, such as lemon, strawberry, or vanilla. Plus, if you want to get fancy with some decorated cookies, you can add some royal icing too.
Sugar cookies are super simple to make and require only a few basic ingredients. Here's what you'll need to make your cookies at home:
- 2 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of softened butter
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 and a half cups of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (or strawberry /lemon)
- 1 egg
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and stir the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Beat your sugar, egg, and butter in another bowl, add the vanilla, and mix the wet and dry ingredients together. Roll the dough into small balls, and place them on ungreased baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly golden.
Peanut Butter Cookies
A classic cookie for many sweets lovers around the world, the peanut butter cookie is a favorite for a reason. It's easy to make and a lot of fun. You can even consider dipping some of your peanut butter cookies into melted chocolate if you want to get extra decadent. You won't need any cutters for this fantastic buttery cookie, just a fork and a little time.
Here's a great recipe to get you started:
- 1 and a half cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of peanut butter (smooth)
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ cup of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 large egg
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and stir your baking powder and flour in a bowl. Next, cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer, and add a little sea salt if you want to give it a kick. Next, add your peanut butter, followed by the egg and vanilla extract.
Once all the wet ingredients are combined, mix in the flour and baking powder slowly. Roll your dough into one-inch balls, and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten the cookies with your fork, then bake them for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
Shortbread cookies are another favorite for anyone who wants to make sweet treats or their cookie recipe at home. You can add extra flavor by combining your dough with a little lemon zest or some chocolate chip chunks.
This delicious treat is easy to make and can be shaped into a range of different designs, such as hearts and flowers—perfect for mother's day. Plus, just like making sugar cookie dough, shortbread dough is simple enough to make that you can do it with your kids too!
Here's a great recipe to try:
- 2 cups of softened butter
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and cream the softened butter and sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add in your vanilla extract and combine everything. Next, add your sugar and flour, mixing until you get the perfect cookie dough. Roll out your dough, cut it into the shapes you want for your cookies, and place each treat on a lined cooking sheet. Bake for around 10 minutes or until everything is golden brown.
Once your shortbread cookies are cooled, add some icing for an extra fun effect, or simply bundle them up to give to your mom.
Macaroons have become incredibly popular in recent years, thanks to their delightfully chewy texture and adorable aesthetic. Although you might need to practice a little before you get your macaroons just right, you can make some amazing cookies in the comfort of your own home. Here's what you'll need to get started:
- 1 ¾ cups of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 drops of food coloring (whichever color you like)
For the filling, you'll need:
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream
Combine your powdered sugar, almond flour, and half your salt in a food processor, and sift the mixture through a sieve into a large bowl. Next, grab another bowl and mix your egg whites and the other salt with an electric hand mixer until peaks form. Next, gradually add your granulated sugar, and continue to whisk until you get stiff peaks. Finally, add your vanilla and coloring.
Add about a third of the flour mixture at a time to the beaten egg whites, and fold until combined. Transfer the batter into a piping bag, and create small circles on a parchment sheet to create your cookie rounds. Tap the sheet on a flat surface to release any bubbles, and let the cookies sit at room temperature until they're dry to the touch.
Bake your cookies for about 17 minutes at 300 degrees until well risen. And leave them to cool while you make the buttercream. Mix the butter and powdered sugar before gradually adding the vanilla and cream. Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag and add a dollop to the top of each macaron shell, then add the other shell to make a sandwich.
What are some Creative Ideas for Mother's Day Cookies?
The great thing about Mother's Day cookies is you can make them as classic or unique as you like. For example, if you have your own cookie cutter, you can shape each Mother's Day cookie into a heart or flower. You can also add different ingredients to your cookie dough, from strawberry chunks and white chocolate chips to lemon zest and vanilla.
The best cookies will always be specific to your mom's tastes, so think carefully about what she prefers before you start baking. If you're buying cookies from a company, it's worth double-checking the nutritional information if your mom has any allergies. You can usually reach out to customer service for some more advice.
Here are some great ways to make your mother's day cookie collection a little more unique for your mom.
Add Her Favorite Ingredients
Most cookies are made with flour, butter, and sugar, but you can add as many other flavor sensations as you like. Lemon zest is ideal for creating zingy cookies. You could opt for chunks of frozen raspberry or strawberry or even add chocolate chip chunks to the dough.
Cut Them Into Unique Shapes
Depending on the type of cookie you choose, you should be able to form the dough pretty easily. Sugar cookies and shortbread are great for cutting into various shapes. You could choose hearts and flowers and then decorate them with icing. Or you could use your treats to spell out a message in letters, such as "I Love You, Mom" or "Happy Mother's Day.
Try Photo Cookies
Some companies can put a photo of you and your mom onto the cookie's face with special printing solutions that will embed your image into the icing. Alternatively, consider the DIY route by printing photos on sugar paper and adding them to your cookies.
Paint Your Cookies
After making your sugar cookies, wait for them to cool, then top them with a heavy layer of icing. Once that's dry, use a tiny paintbrush and some food coloring to paint little pictures on the cookies yourself. This is an excellent way to send a unique message in cookie form. You can find plenty of great decorating ideas online to help you too. Just make sure you practice your painting techniques first.
Make 3D Cookies
These days, cookie cutters can accomplish almost anything. You can even find cutters that will help you make three-dimensional cookies in the form of hearts, flowers, and more. This could be a lot of fun if you're happy experimenting with the right recipe, just don't expect every cookie to come out looking perfect. Just remember, with any Mother's day gift, it's the thought that counts.
Healthy Mother's Day Cookies
If you know your mom is trying to live a slightly healthier lifestyle these days, opting for a slightly healthier cookie recipe might be a good idea. Cookies are known for being sweet and indulgent, but you're free to create any Mother's day cookie you choose. You can even buy cookies with fewer calories and carbs than homemade alternatives.
For instance, consider looking for mother's day gift basket ideas, including healthier cookies packed full of fruit like strawberry and cranberry. Instead of doubling up on sugar, you can consider using natural sweeteners like maple syrup or honey if you're making cookies at home.
Another great way to make your mother's day cookies healthier is to skip the icing and let the cookie's beauty shine through with its natural ingredients. Add in fruits and vegetables for extra color and an added dose of moisture in your sweet treats. Alternatively, use some healthier fats and flour. For example, butter can be changed for nut butter and coconut oil; standard all-purpose flour can be switched with oats and whole-wheat flour.
If you're worried about your mother's day cookies losing flavor with healthier options, add some extra spices and substances like nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Even chopped nuts and seeds like chia seeds and almonds in cookie dough give your treats a boost of fiber and protein without too many extra calories.
What are some Vegan Mother's Day Cookie Recipes?
Creating the best Mother’s Day cookies means understanding your mother's preferences and requirements. With that in mind, you might need to adapt your cookie recipe to suit your mom. For instance, you can create healthy mother's day cookies if your mother's currently on a diet, or you can consider looking into low-calorie alternatives.
It's even possible to create vegan Mother’s Day cookies. You don't necessarily need eggs and butter to make delicious cookies. There are various great alternatives out there, so you can still make all the classics, from peanut butter cookies and sugar cookies to chocolate chip.
Here are some fantastic vegan recipes to explore:
- Chewy molasses cookies: Mouthwateringly sweet with just a hint of spice, these cookies don't require any eggs or butter at all. With a handful of ingredients, including quite a few spices, you can make some phenomenal cookies that go great with a cup of tea! Here's a recipe you can use for these cookies.
- Vegan chocolate chip cookies: Chocolate chip cookies are a classic for a reason. They're perfect for almost every occasion! With this handy recipe, you can use non-dairy milk substitutes to create an amazing chewy cookie with all the wonder of a standard chocolate treat. You could even combine them with some vegan brownies!
- Vegan peanut butter cookies: Perfect for any mother's day celebration, birthday party, or event, these vegan peanut butter cookies are truly delicious. They're wonderfully sweet and nutty, just like any great peanut butter cookie should be. Plus, you can make them in just one bowl, so there's less washing and cleaning to do afterward.
- Vegan gingerbread cookies: Gingerbread isn't just for Christmas. It's a delicious treat any time of the year and wonderful for decorating too! You can even get the kids involved by adding their own icing decorations. This fantastic vegan gingerbread cookie recipe is easy to reproduce at home with minimal effort. It produces the perfect chewy cookie in any shape.
- Cranberry oatmeal cookies: Want something that's packed full of flavor and goodness at the same time? You can't go wrong with this amazing cranberry oatmeal cookie recipe. The tang of the cranberry tastes amazing, and the unsweetened apple sauce used in the batter adds a wonderful extra kick. You could even add some vegan chocolate if you like.
How to Present Mother's Day Cookies as a Gift?
One of the best ways to make your Mother’s Day cookies really stand out is to think about how you present them. The best gifts aren't just made with care; they're also well-packaged. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways you can present a beautiful batch of cookies as a gift.
One option could be to create a gift basket, which includes not just your Mother’s Day cookies, but also some extra cakes and related products, like a cooking spoon or apron. You can even add in some fun extras like slippers, blankets, or candles.
Another option is to wrap your cookies with cellophane after placing them on a decorative plate or platter. You could even get a plate printed with a heartfelt message and a picture of you and your mom, which she can treasure forever. Other options include:
- Arrange your cookie collection in a decorative basket or box and add a ribbon to make it really look professional. Your mom could even re-use the box or basket later.
- Create a cookie bouquet by placing each cookie on skewers, and wrapping everything like a bunch of flowers. This is a fun and unique way to deliver a cookie treat.
- Fill a jar with cookies by making tiny treats. A huge mason jar is a great way to present cookies, and it can also come in handy for your mom's own storage needs.
- Add a personalized card to the cookies with a heartfelt message about how much you love and appreciate your mom. This will make your cookies feel even more special.
- Give her the ingredients, then make the cookies together. Not only will you have a fun gift, but you'll be able to enjoy an amazing bonding moment.
Mother's Day Cookies from Spoonful of Comfort
Spoonful of Comfort’s cookies are loved and shared by thousands of happy customers. Your mom will be delighted to receive a special delivery of yummy cookies, beautifully packaged.
We also offer Mother’s Day gourmet gift baskets, all of which can be customized to suit your mom. There are even some extra fun gifts you can add to the collection too!