Have a friend or family member who’s set big goals to get healthy this year? Making resolutions can be exciting in the first week of January, but somewhere in the middle of the month, midwinter doldrums hit. And healthy resolutions can feel pretty hard to stick to.
But not with you around. Because, you love keeping your people motivated. Giving gifts that keep them going. Supporting their goals and dreams with little treats that say “I love you”.
With this lovely thing about you in mind, here’s a timely treat that is perfect to share this time of year. A pack of “homemade” granola, tied into a beautiful bag and gifted with a spoon or scoop. On top of being the cutest little healthy hello ever, this adorable idea also takes 5 minutes to put together. Seriously–5 minutes!
Because we know you’re busy, we wanted a gift that was so easy to assemble, you could make and gift it in under an hour.
So we went the semi-homemade route. Started with a box of storebought cereal, then hit the bulk aisle for colorful mix-ins that turn it into “handcrated” granola in minutes.
The great thing here: there are now so many ready-to-go granolas made to fit just about any eating style. From paleo to keto, gluten-free to vegan, you can peruse the cereal aisle for an option that best fits your recipients food goals. Then select one that is perfect for their eating plan. Such a fun and simple way to support those healthy endeavors. Or gift to someone who simply deserves a brighter morning. A breakfast worth waking up to.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
For the Granola
Though there are dozens of flavor combinations here, we opted for easy-to-find, tasty and colorful add-ins that would make a pretty mixture. Here’s our shopping list. Feel free to omit any of the below, or toss in other favorites (like coconut, dried apricots, dates, figs or mango, M&M’s, sliced or chopped nuts, flax seeds, hemp seeds or sunflower seeds). There’s really no right or wrong here. If you’d add it to your breakfast bowl, it’ll go great with this handmade granola:
- 1 box storebought granola (don’t forget to check your friends diet preferences, to match the type to their taste!)
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries (find in the bulk section of most grocery stores, or near the raisins)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (find in the bulk section of most grocery stores, or near the raisins)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds (find in the bulk section of most grocery stores, or in the baking aisle, near the nuts)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (we selected semi-sweet dark, but milk chocolate chips, mini chips or chocolate chunks would also work!)
- 1/4 cup chopped candied ginger (find in the bulk section of most grocery stores, or near the spices)
For the Gift
- 1 large plastic gift bag, large mason jar or food-safe keeper container (you may find these in the housewares section of your grocery store, also available at party-goods or dollar stores)
- twine or ribbon (you may find these in the housewares section of your grocery store, also available at craft stores)
- 1 wooden spoon or scoop (you can find these in the housewares section of your grocery store)
With all ingredients and supplied gathered, you’re seriously 5 minutes away from having a gorgeous gift! Simply open that box of granola, toss together with your add-ins…
Then transfer everything into a large plastic gift bag, mason jar or keeper container. Tie with twine, add the spoon before tying into a bow.
And, boom! You’ve got yourself a gorgeous gift that’s ready to make someone’s day.
If you’re feeling fancy, tuck it into a stack of bowls, and share a new set of cereal bowls with the gift. Or simply deliver the bag of granola. Either way, this easy little gift is ready to go.
Share With Someone You Love
We love when great ideas get shared. If this post inspires you to gift a bag of DIY Granola, we’d love to see it! Snap a photo and tag us on Instagram @spoonfulofcomfort #spoonfulofcomfort