National Wise Health Consumer Month
Wise Health Consumer Month
Wise Health Consumer Month is celebrated every February in the United States. The purpose of the observance is to help people make wise health decisions and communicate better with their health care providers.
Americans are known to be very shrewd and meticulous when it comes to making decisions about product purchases. When it comes to making choices about their health, though, Americans often make uninformed decisions. National Wise Health Consumer Month aims to improve this trend.
Wise Consumers of Healthy Food
It’s important to make wise choices about electronic gadgets and devices, but it may be even more important to make good decisions about the food we purchase because it has a profound impact on our health. Americans tend to splurge on highly-processed, unhealthy foods which may explain why there is an obesity problem in the country today.
Being a wise health consumer requires us to refocus our food shopping habits. Instead of eating out or buying processed, instant foods, we can opt for fresh ingredients and simple, healthful homemade meals.
Soup is usually the first course of any meal, but it also makes a great entree. Soup can provide warm, filling nourishment on a cold day and a light, refreshing main course on a hot summer day. Soup makes a great “full meal deal” because it can contain protein, carbohydrates, vegetables, and fruits—all in one bowl.
The following are types of soups that can be prepared using minimal ingredients:
- Bisque – a thick and creamy soup that often contains seafood.
- Bouillabaisse – a seasoned stew of shellfish, fish, tomatoes, onions, olive oil, garlic, saffron, herbs, and white wine.
- Broth and bouillon – strained liquid from cooking meat or fish, vegetables, and other spices or seasoning.
- Chowder – a thick and chunky soup that often includes seafood, potatoes and cream.
- Consommé – a clear soup made from strained meat or vegetable broth.
- Court bouillon – a broth prepared by cooking various vegetables and herbs, complemented with a little wine or lemon juice.
- Cream soup – soup that is thickened with a white sauce.
- Minestrone – a thick Italian soup with assorted vegetables and pasta in meat broth.
- Stew – a hearty soup containing meat, vegetables and thick broth.
Celebrate Wise Health Consumer Month by making smart food purchases. The next time you head to the grocery store, pick up ingredients for healthy, filling soups. Soup enables you to eat cheaply and well.