Even if you’ve been dating for years, it can be difficult to figure out what your man really wants or needs.
You could check out the latest trends for gifting ideas, check out what’s hot on your favorite retailer sites, or just buy him something old-fashioned and timeless, like a pair of awesome socks. However, the best gifts always come from the heart. The ideal gift idea will show your guy just how well you know him and how much you appreciate his love and affection.
If you really want to make an impact this festive season, you’ll need to do a lot more than just grab a great deal on Black Friday. Delivering a heartfelt, thoughtful gift takes careful planning. Fortunately, we’re here to help. Whatever your man is into, from travel or gaming to fitness and fashion, the following guide will ensure you can choose the perfect Christmas gift this year.
What Should I Get My Boyfriend for Christmas?
There are tons of great ideas out there when you’re looking for gifts for your boyfriend. You could pick something romantic, like a portrait painted of your favorite picture together. Or you could opt for something you know he needs, like new sweatpants.
The first step in getting your boyfriend the ultimate gift is to ask yourself some important questions:
- How long have you been together? The length of your relationship with your boyfriend doesn’t always matter to gift giving, but it can help you to determine how much you spend, and how sentimental you want to be. If you’re giving a gift to a new boyfriend, it’s usually a good idea to keep things simple. Spending a fortune on romantic gifts could make you look over-eager, and may make your boyfriend feel bad if he hasn’t done the same.
- What’s your budget? How much do you and your guy tend to spend on each other for Christmas? It’s generally a good idea to discuss how much you’re comfortable spending if you’ve been together for a while. This will help to narrow down your choices for the ideal gift, and should ensure neither one of you feels like you “outdid” the other. Your boyfriend isn’t going to feel great if he buys you a $10 gift card, and you get him a new Nintendo Switch.
- What is he passionate about? The best gifts are always tailored to the person they’re for. A great gift idea should show how much you know about the other person. For instance, if your man is super into music, then a vinyl record of his favorite artist might be a good idea. On the other hand, if he prefers something like sports, you could consider getting him a piece of clothing with the emblem of his favorite team.
- What have you bought each other before? If this isn’t a brand-new relationship, it’s worth looking back at some previous gift exchanges. Think about the products you’ve bought your significant other in the past, and what he reacts best to. You can also look at the gifts he might have given you before. His gifts may give you insight into what he enjoys towards the beginning. For instance, if he buys you tickets to see a band, you know he probably enjoys live music.
- What does he need? When you’re struggling to find the ideal gift for the holiday season, it’s usually helpful to consider what your boyfriend needs. Ask yourself what he’s been complaining about lately, or what he always wishes he had. For example, if your partner is always lamenting that he doesn’t have a great outfit for job interviews, you could take him out on a fashion-style shopping trip.
How Can I Find Out What He Wants For Christmas?
Buying cute Christmas gifts for your boyfriend might require a bit of sleuthing work. Men aren’t always particularly open about what they want from their partners. He might even tell you that he “doesn’t need anything” when you ask. It’s pretty frustrating—but it’s also common.
A little detective work can help you get to the bottom of what your boyfriend is really interested in, whether you’re looking for a great idea for a birthday gift, a Christmas gift, or the ultimate anniversary gift. Here are some of the best ways to start your search.
Social media is a fantastic place to learn more about your partner’s interests. Finding out which posts he “likes” on Instagram, paying attention to the products in the TikTok videos he sends you, or just examining the things he re-tweets can all help you make the right choice.
Pay attention to what other people tag him in on social media too. Friends and family members often @mention the people they care about when they see a product they might like on Instagram or Facebook. This could give you some great ideas.
If you go shopping together from time to time, this is the perfect opportunity to see what kind of things he seems most excited about. What sort of products does he point out or talk about when you’re browsing the aisles? What does he wish he could buy?
If you have a possible gift already in mind, you could show him something similar while you’re shopping and gauge his reaction to it.
It’s worth being extra cautious when asking around for gifting ideas. You don’t want your boyfriend’s friends to tell him you’ve been snooping around looking for a great idea. Make sure the people you question about gifts he’ll like are trustworthy enough to keep your questions a secret.
You could start by talking to some mutual friends, or speak to your boyfriend’s family if you’re already familiar with them.
What kind of products does your boyfriend already invest in pretty regularly? If he has a record player, it makes sense he’d probably benefit from some new records. If he spends a lot of time on his Xbox, the best gift idea might be some new games or credit for an online store.
If you’re struggling for creative ideas, building on the things you already know he enjoys is a great strategy. You could even consider replacing something he’s running out of, like a favorite aftershave, or a subscription to a streaming service.
This is a good way to get some awesome Christmas gift ideas, without being overly obvious. Partners are supposed to ask about what their other half likes, after all. Question him about his favorite movies or box sets when you’re sitting down for a Netflix session together.
If you’re listening to music in the car on the way to a date, talk about the records he wishes he had, or the kind of people who would love to see live in concert.
If you’ve been dating your other half for a while, then a wish list could be the perfect way to make gifting easier for you. You could consider setting up an Amazon wish list, or just writing things in a notebook together that you’d love to purchase or have one day.
Not only do you get some great ideas for what to buy your boyfriend, but your partner will also have some fantastic suggestions. It’s not uncommon for guys to spend hours typing “Christmas gifts for my girlfriend” into Google.
If you know your partner has much in common with someone else, like his dad or best friend, you could ask him what kind of gifts they might like for hints. For instance, say, “Your dad is pretty tough to buy for, what do you think we should get him this year?”
This is a fantastic indirect way to get a great gift idea, without asking your other half outright what they’re looking for. Just make sure you personalize the item to make it specific to the needs of your other half.
What Kind Of Gift Should I Get For Someone I Just Started Dating?
As mentioned above, the gifts you get your partner can sometimes vary depending on how long you’ve been dating. A cute Christmas gift for a long-term partner is generally very different to the best gifts for someone you’ve just started going out with.
If you’ve only recently started dating during the festive season, you might not have a deep knowledge of your boyfriend’s preferences and passions just yet. This means you’ll need to think carefully about what they might be interested in.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Something practical: A practical gift is always a good idea for a new boyfriend. It’s not overly romantic or sentimental, so you don’t risk coming across as too clingy. Plus, you’ll be able to give them something they can actually use. For instance, if they constantly go through huge amounts of socks, get them a personalized pair. If they like relaxing at home with a beer, buy them a great bottle opener.
- A gift that shows you listen: Show your boyfriend how much you’re interested in them and what they say by buying something based on your conversations. If your guy spends much time talking about sports, get him tickets to a game. If you know your partner is interested in learning how to play guitar, sign him up for some lessons. This is a great way to take the initiative, without guessing what the ultimate boyfriend gift might be.
- Something you can enjoy together: A Christmas gift for a new boyfriend can be an excellent way to invest in your relationship and time together. The chances are you’re looking for fun and exciting ways to spend your date nights most of the time. So why not invest in a Netflix subscription or a cooking class for you both to take? Alternatively, you could get tickets to a show or concert you know you’ll both enjoy.
- A delicious and nourishing gift: When all else fails, it’s hard to go wrong with food. A gift basket or hamper full of delicious treats you know your boyfriend will enjoy is a great way to make him feel loved and cared for. You could fill a basket with soups for the winter, chocolates, candies, and some of his favorite drinks. This shows you pay attention to his likes and dislikes and want to look after him.
- Something small: Generally, at the beginning of a relationship, it’s a good idea to keep things relatively simple. Buying your boyfriend a massive gift might seem like a great way to impress him. However, it can end up causing problems if your other half doesn’t have as much to give you in return. Stick to small, uncommon goods, like a personalized keychain, or a gift card to his favorite store.
- A gift related to your relationship: Think about how you met and when you started bonding. Did you spend your first few dates going to the movies? Then consider a cinema voucher. When you started chatting, did you spend much time talking about a particular television show? Get your partner something related to that. Gifts that reference the inside details of your relationships aren’t just great for anniversary gifts.
- Something you like: If you’re struggling to think of what you boyfriend might enjoy, give him something you really care about. For instance, if you’re obsessed with a specific book, you could give your boyfriend his own copy, explaining how you think he’ll really enjoy it, and what it means to you. Just make sure you don’t end up stealing the gift for yourself.
A great way to add to the impact of your Christmas gift for your new boyfriend is to include a personalized card. Don’t just write “Merry Christmas”, include a reference to your relationship and the time you often spend together.
How Can I Make Christmas Romantic For My Long-Time Boyfriend?
Finding the best Christmas gift ideas may be a little easier if you’ve been with your boyfriend for quite a while. Generally, you’ll have a better idea of what they enjoy, so you should be able to choose something specific to their interests. Try to remember your general gift-giving etiquette with your boyfriend, too, though. Don't go over the top if you generally stick to a specific budget.
Here are some great ways to make Christmas a little more special for your long-term boyfriend.
A thoughtful gift is a must if you and your partner have been together for some time. This is a chance for you to show your boyfriend how much you really know and understand him. Buy something related to his specific interests, or create a personalized gift unique to your partner, like a wallet with his name or the date you first met emblazoned on it.
A personalized Christmas ornament with details of your relationship on it can be an amazing way to make Christmas more special. You can get a bauble with both of your names on it, and little pictures of the things you both like. Or you could go shopping for the ultimate tree topper together. This will make every Christmas feel a little more special.
Christmas tree shopping can be a lot of fun, and it’s a great way to spend some meaningful time with your boyfriend when you’ve been together for a while. If you both live separately, you can go and buy two trees, and spend a day each decorating them together. If you’re living together, you can devote a whole weekend to buying and decorating your tree.
If possible, consider cooking a full Christmas dinner for your boyfriend on the big day. Alternatively, if he tends to have Christmas dinner with his family, plan another meal you can have together, like a Christmas Eve dinner, or a celebration the day after Christmas. This is a great way to show you how much you care about nurturing your partner.
Plan for some fantastic memory-making dates around Christmas. While your boyfriend might not be able to hang out with you every day, you can still plan some great adventures. For instance, you might go and visit a Christmas market somewhere close by, or go ice skating. You can also go shopping together for Christmas gifts for other people.
Rather than giving your boyfriend a single big gift on Christmas morning, consider making the lead up to Christmas extra special with your own custom advent calendar. You can wrap 12 small gifts for the lead-up to Christmas, and surprise him with something new every day. It’s worth ensuring you know your budget before you start shopping here, particularly if you still want to give something larger to your partner on Christmas day.
If your partner has a wish list on Amazon or a similar website, get access to it and buy a bundle of different items, then arrange them into a hamper. This is a fantastic way to ensure you’re giving them multiple gifts you know they’ll love. Make sure you’re not buying the same things as his friends and family, if they also have access to the same wish list.
If you’re spending Christmas morning together, make it a morning to remember. Wake up a little earlier than your partner to cook him breakfast and arrange his presents for him. You can start playing Christmas music to wake him up, or cover the windows with fake snow to make the experience feel a little more magical.
Trending Christmas Gifts On TikTok
If you and your boyfriend both enjoy TikTok, you can use it as an excellent source of inspiration for a Christmas day gift. TikTok is a fantastic place to check out unique gift ideas based on some of the most exciting products among top content creators.
You can search for the perfect gift by checking out the related stories and posts your boyfriend usually watches on TikTok. Alternatively, visit the trending stories on TikTok for an insight into what’s getting the most attention right now. Some options include:
- Electric candle lighter: Interesting and practical, an electric candle lighter is a great option for a guy who likes to spend a lot of time camping, or in the great outdoors. This gift idea can be used for hours when fully charged, and it’s waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about your man being stuck outside with no heat source. Plus, it comes in handy around the home.
- Desktop vacuum cleaner: Another thoughtful gift idea for a guy who spends a lot of his time at his desk, a desktop vacuum cleaner can easily clean tiny surfaces. This is a great way to show your boyfriend you’re paying attention to his activities. What’s more, you can cut down on the crumbs he has to clean up after hours of gaming on his PC.
- Reusable notebook: If your boyfriend is the creative type, always sketching and taking notes, a reusable notebook could be an excellent investment. This is also the perfect choice for college students, who might need to transfer written notes to Dropbox or Google drive on the move. When they run out of space, they can wipe off their old notes with a damp cloth.
- Card games: Card games are a fantastic Christmas gift idea for your boyfriend, because they give you something you can enjoy together. There are plenty of great games to spruce up date night, and they could even be a fantastic Valentine’s Day gift if you’re all set for Christmas.
- Friendship lamps: If you and your boyfriend tend to spend a lot of time apart, a great way to say “Merry Christmas” could be with a friendship land. One touch creates a colorful light for both you and your partner. This is a great way to let your loved one know you’re thinking of them from a distance. Plus, lamps always come in handy around the home.
Show you care with a care package
If you’re still struggling to find the ultimate personalized gift idea for your boyfriend, and the interest-based ads online aren’t giving you any hints, there’s another excellent option available. Consider creating your own care package. A care package is a low-cost way to demonstrate just how much you value your boyfriend with a convenient Christmas gift.
When it comes to cute Christmas gifts for boyfriends, there are few things more impressive than a beautifully made hamper. You can fill the care package with everything you know your boyfriend loves, from delicious soups and food, to treats and drinks.
A good care package can be as small or as large as you like, depending on your agreed budget with your partner. Plus, you can customize it however you choose. This is a gift that keeps on giving too. Your partner will be able to enjoy the treats inside for weeks after Christmas is over.
Choosing the Best Christmas Gifts For Men
Choosing cute Christmas gifts for boyfriends can be easier said than done. Men can be notoriously difficult to buy for, even if they’re open about what they enjoy. The key to success is thinking carefully about what your boyfriend will really benefit from in a gift.
Take your time researching a memorable Christmas gift idea. Don’t just opt for something generic when you can manage it. Even the simplest products, like socks and candy, can be more impressive when personalized.
Make this Christmas one to remember.
Feel free to check out our “Last Minute Christmas Gifts” piece for advice on making the most of quick gifting.