Want a simple way to support someone who has cancer? Share a quote that inspires emotion. Whether it brings motivation, hope, or even a laugh, the right quote can lift someone’s day. And you only need to spend a few seconds to send it.
A lot of terrific quotes about cancer cross our desks each week when people send get well gifts to the people they care about who have cancer. We’ve collected some of our favorites quotes they’ve shared. Here are a few simple ways you can share them, too:
- Send a quote in a text.
- Write a handwritten note.
- Put it on a postcard (snail mail still feels special!).
- Make a meme.
- Post a quote on social media and @ the person you have in mind.
- Turn it into a printable for their mirror or wall.
- Write it on the whiteboard in their hospital room.
- Add it to a handmade gift.
- Put it on matching pins you can both wear.
Ready? Take a look at our favorite collection of quotes for people who are fighting cancer.
Quotes to inspire Hope for people with cancer
- “Cancer is a word, not a sentence.” —John Diamond
- “Cancer can touch you, but not your soul; neither your thoughts nor your heart.” —Vikrmn
- “You have to be willing to give up the life you planned, and instead, greet the life that is waiting for you.” —Joseph Campbell
- “Take one day at a time. Today, after all, is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.” —Billy Graham
- “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift – that’s why it’s called ‘the present.’” —Bill Keane
- “Yesterday is gone, tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today, let us begin.” —Mother Teresa
- “God didn’t promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, or sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.” —Unknown
- “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.” —Nido Qubein
- “The healing power of hope has no bounds.”
- “For every mountain there is a miracle.” —Robert H. Schuller
“Once you choose hope, anything’s possible.” —Christopher Reeve
- “I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me.” —Joshua Graham
Quotes that offer motivation to people who have cancer
- “I have cancer. Cancer doesn’t have me.” —Marco Calderon
- “Cancer is not a death sentence, but rather it is a life sentence; it pushes one to live.”
- “Cancer didn’t bring me to my knees, it brought me to my feet.” —Michael Douglas
- “Rise when you think you can’t, crawl if you can’t walk, and try even if you think you’ll fail. Life is short so make it count.” —Genny Small
- “You have two options for cancer, medically and emotionally. Give up or Fight like hell.”
- “When you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: You haven’t.” —Thomas Edison
- “You beat cancer by how you live, why you live and in the manner in which you live.” —Stuart Scott
- “Life is not the way it’s supposed to be, it’s the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.” —Virginia Satir
- “When we long for life without difficulties, remind us that oaks grow strong in contrary winds, and diamonds are made under pressure.” —Peter Marshall
- “The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it.” —C.C. Scott
- Cancer, you started this fight. And I’m going to finish it.
- “Hope is the ability to hear the music of the future. Faith is the courage to dance to it today.” —Peter Kuzmic
- “In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.” —Albert Camus
- “You have been assigned this mountain to show others it can be moved.”
- “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.” —Cayla Mills
- “She stood in the storm and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails.”
Quotes that can give peace when someone has cancer
- “Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be.” —Sonia Ricotti
- “Let nothing trouble you, let nothing frighten you. All things are passing; God never changes. Patience obtains all things. He who possesses God lacks nothing. God alone suffices.” —St. Teresa of Avila
- “Faith is the bird that sings when the dawn is still dark.” —Rabindranath Tagore
- “Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.”
- “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” —Joshua 1:9 NIV
- “Spare no day, no minute, no second. Time isn’t promised, but it is permitted.” —Jamilah Lawry
- “You’re not a survivor. You’re a warrior."
Quotes that can share happiness when fighting cancer
- “Surround yourself with only people who are going to lift you higher.” —Oprah
- Fight cancer. Live life. Eat more tacos. —MoveforJenn.org
- “Nah. I’m a tough cookie. Except for the cancer, I’m fine.” —Lisa Scoffoline
- “Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we’re here we should dance.”
- “For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love.” —Carl Sagan
- “You think I came all this way just to let something as silly as lung cancer take me down? Not a chance. I’m not going anywhere.” —Walter White, Breaking Bad
- “Cancer is probably the most unfunny thing in the world, but I’m a comedian, and even cancer couldn’t stop me from seeing the humor in what I went through.” —Gilda Radner